Warning: include(/var/chroot/home/content/f/o/a/foa201/html/components/com_user/views/inc.php) [function.include]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/content/17/6601717/html/index.php on line 8

Warning: include() [function.include]: Failed opening '/var/chroot/home/content/f/o/a/foa201/html/components/com_user/views/inc.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:/usr/local/php5/lib/php') in /home/content/17/6601717/html/index.php on line 8

Warning: include(/var/chroot/home/content/f/o/a/foa201/html/modules/mod_wrapper/plugin.php) [function.include]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/content/17/6601717/html/index.php on line 11

Warning: include() [function.include]: Failed opening '/var/chroot/home/content/f/o/a/foa201/html/modules/mod_wrapper/plugin.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:/usr/local/php5/lib/php') in /home/content/17/6601717/html/index.php on line 11

Warning: session_start() [function.session-start]: Cannot send session cookie - headers already sent by (output started at /home/content/17/6601717/html/index.php:8) in /home/content/17/6601717/html/libraries/joomla/session/session.php on line 423

Warning: session_start() [function.session-start]: Cannot send session cache limiter - headers already sent (output started at /home/content/17/6601717/html/index.php:8) in /home/content/17/6601717/html/libraries/joomla/session/session.php on line 423

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/content/17/6601717/html/index.php:8) in /home/content/17/6601717/html/libraries/joomla/session/session.php on line 426
Place Names Foundations of America - QU 201 http://www.foundationsofamerica.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&id=92&Itemid=78 Tue, 21 Nov 2017 06:08:53 +0000 Joomla! 1.5 - Open Source Content Management en-gb Assunpink Creek http://www.foundationsofamerica.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=753:assunpink-creek&catid=92:place-names&Itemid=78 http://www.foundationsofamerica.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=753:assunpink-creek&catid=92:place-names&Itemid=78  

       The Assunpink Creek was derived from the Lenape term Ahsen’pink which means “stony, watery place. Assunpink Creek begins in Monmouth County flowing westwards into the Assunpink Wildlife Management Area, where it has been dammed to form Rising Sun Lake. The creek then continues through multiple areas before connecting to the Delaware River in Trenton, New Jersey. In 1777, during the Second Battle of Trenton George Washington lead Continental soldier into this area where they held a defensive line along the south shore of Assunpink Creek .The American soldiers successfully repelled several charges by British and Hessian soldiers across a stone bridge over the creek, and also repelled an attempt to ford the creek near its mouth.

 

 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_the_Assunpink_Creek

]]>
Place Names Wed, 14 Dec 2011 02:14:32 +0000
Wissahickon Creek http://www.foundationsofamerica.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=752:wissahickon-creek&catid=92:place-names&Itemid=78 http://www.foundationsofamerica.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=752:wissahickon-creek&catid=92:place-names&Itemid=78  

       The Wissahickon Creek is a stream in southeastern Pennsylvania. Its route is 23 miles and it empties into the Schuylkill River in Philadelphia.The name of the creek comes from the Lenape language for "catfish creek" or "stream of yellowish color.” Industry saw its rise along the creek soon after European settlement in the area due to the steep slopes and gorge that was along the creek. It main industry was that of milling paper. Americas first paper mill was built along one of the Wissahickons tributaries. A feature that this creek now has is the Henry Avenue Bridge which was built in 1932. The bridge is 915 feet and 185 feet above the creek. These areas along with other sections of the creek have been used as scenery for artists since 1800. The Wissahickon attracted people such as Edgar Allan Poe and John Greenleaf Whittier. With all of its great historical past the Wissahickon Valley has known been named one of the 600 National Natural Landmarks of the United States.

 

 

http://www.fairmountpark.org/WissahickonValleyPark.asp

]]>
Place Names Wed, 14 Dec 2011 02:08:43 +0000
Shackamaxon Village http://www.foundationsofamerica.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=751:shackamaxon-village&catid=92:place-names&Itemid=78 http://www.foundationsofamerica.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=751:shackamaxon-village&catid=92:place-names&Itemid=78           

 

       Shackamaxon was a village that was located along the Delaware River. The Lenape Indians used this area as a camping ground on the banks of the river. The reason for this spot was the abundant fish and game that the Lenapes found. Soon Dutch explorers found the same abundance in the 1600’s and the village was built.In 1682, William Penn reportedly signed a treaty with the leaders of the Delaware village under an ancient elm tree. The legendary elm tree marking the spot of the meeting blew down in a storm in 1810. Today the location of that tree has been turned into a small park for memorial, its called the Penn Treaty Park. In the 19th century, the territory of Shackamaxon was developed as part of the Port Richmond section of Philadelphia.

 

]]>
Place Names Wed, 14 Dec 2011 02:04:44 +0000
Tulpehocken Creek http://www.foundationsofamerica.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=750:tulpehocken-creek&catid=92:place-names&Itemid=78 http://www.foundationsofamerica.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=750:tulpehocken-creek&catid=92:place-names&Itemid=78  

The Tulpehocken Creek is a tributary of the Schuylkill River in southeastern Pennsylvania. The name comes from the Lenape Indians meaning "land of turtles." Tulpehocken Creek begins in western Lebanon County, Pennsylvania, and flows east joining the Schuylkill River in Reading, Pennsylvania. In the 1720s, the creek valley was a destination for early settlers, who used the creek for milling operations. In the 19th century, it provided an important early transportation route with the building in 1828 of the Union Canal along the river. The creeks water levels are monitored today through flood controls at the Blue Marsh Dam. This dam was completed in 1979 and has allowed for great conditions for the fish habits along the creek.

 

]]>
Place Names Wed, 14 Dec 2011 02:00:52 +0000
The Youghiogheny River http://www.foundationsofamerica.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=749:the-youghiogheny-river&catid=92:place-names&Itemid=78 http://www.foundationsofamerica.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=749:the-youghiogheny-river&catid=92:place-names&Itemid=78  

 

          The Youghiogheny River means “a river that flows in opposing direction”. The reason the river is called this is due the flow which runs south to north. The Youghiogheny River is a tributary of the Monongahela River. It begins in northern West Virginia and flows northeast through Maryland and into Pennsylvania where it joins the Monongahela River near Pittsburgh. During colonial times the river provided an important route through the mountains for settlers as well as military personnel. Coal mining became an important industry along the lower Youghiogheny River during the 19th century.

]]>
Place Names Wed, 14 Dec 2011 01:56:04 +0000
Randolph, MA http://www.foundationsofamerica.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=748:randolph-ma&catid=92:place-names&Itemid=78 http://www.foundationsofamerica.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=748:randolph-ma&catid=92:place-names&Itemid=78 alt

 

Orignally named Cochaticquom, Randolph is a city located in Norfolk County, Massachusetts. The Cochato and Ponkapaog tribes were the two founding tribes that settled in Randolph.  The town was then incorporated in 1793 and was named after Peyton Randolph, a wealthy Virginia patriot and first president of the Continental Congress in 1774.  Randolph was heavily involved in shoe companies that created popular styles at the time.  Almost the whole population that lived in Randolph was employed in the making of shoes and boots.  Modern day Randolph is very welcoming for new residents.  The town is accessible to sources of transportation, schools, restaurants, movie theaters, and other forms of entertainment.  

 

]]>
Place Names Fri, 02 Dec 2011 00:47:32 +0000
Houghtons Pond, MA http://www.foundationsofamerica.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=747:houghtons-pond-ma&catid=92:place-names&Itemid=78 http://www.foundationsofamerica.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=747:houghtons-pond-ma&catid=92:place-names&Itemid=78 Houghton’s pond is a pond in Milton, Massachusetts.  The pond is roughly 24 acres and is managed by the Massachusetts Department of Conservation and Recreation.  The Ponkapoag tribe once fished and hunted in this area.  The pond was first called Hoosic Whisick translation for “shallow water”.  The pond itself was then renamed Houghton, for Ralph Houghton who settled in this area around 1690. In 1892, a group from the Milton Club purchased the recently deserted Houghton farm at the base of Great Blue Hill. The Club has a clear cool pond then called Hoosic-Whisick, now Houghton's used for fishing, swimming and skating.

alt src=http://foundationsofamerica.com/images/stories/houghtons%20pond.jpg

]]>
Place Names Thu, 01 Dec 2011 23:27:29 +0000
Mattapan MA http://www.foundationsofamerica.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=746:mattapan-ma&catid=92:place-names&Itemid=78 http://www.foundationsofamerica.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=746:mattapan-ma&catid=92:place-names&Itemid=78 Mattapan is a city in Boston Massachusetts.  It became a part of Boston when Dorchester was annexed in 1870.   The Native American Mattahunt Tribe once inhabited Mattapan in the early 1600's.  Mattapan is the original Native American name for the Dorchester area and is known as “a good place to sit” or “a good place to be”.   Since the time of the Mattahunt tribe occupying Mattapan, there have been a variety of immigrants moving into the city.  A diverse population of Irish, Jewish, and Haitian immigrants has settled in Mattapan in large numbers. Today Mattapan's population is largely made up of African Americans and immigrants from the Caribbean.  

alt

  A Native American figure holding a fish represents the Mattahunt tribe, which inhabited the area 400 years ago.

  

]]>
Place Names Thu, 01 Dec 2011 22:55:04 +0000
Neponset River http://www.foundationsofamerica.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=745:neponset-river&catid=92:place-names&Itemid=78 http://www.foundationsofamerica.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=745:neponset-river&catid=92:place-names&Itemid=78 The Neponset river is a river located in Eastern Massachusetts.  The rivers first recorded history was in 1619 when fur trading started by the English on Thompson’s Island, and Native Americans used the Neponset River to bring skins for sale.  The native American meaning of the river is “a good fall”.  The river itself travels through at least 17 cities and is approximately 29 miles. 

alt

]]>
Place Names Wed, 30 Nov 2011 21:44:21 +0000
Quabbin Reservoir http://www.foundationsofamerica.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=744:quabbin-reservoir&catid=92:place-names&Itemid=78 http://www.foundationsofamerica.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=744:quabbin-reservoir&catid=92:place-names&Itemid=78 Quabbin Reservoir is one of the largest man made public water supplies in the United States.  It was created in the 1930’s by the construction of two huge earthen dams.  The reservoir covers 39 square miles, is 18 miles long, and can hold 412 billion gallons of water.  It is one of the primary water supplies for Boston.    Before the reservoir was built there was a hill in Enfield called Quabbin hill and a lake in Greenwich called Quabbin Lake.  Both of these names are named after a Native American Chief called Nani-Quaben, meaning place of many waters.  These names became the basis for naming the new reservoir.       

alt

]]>
Place Names Wed, 30 Nov 2011 21:27:46 +0000